‘Asterel’ was established early in 1977 when Trisha Dean acquired her first Estrela Mountain Dog. Since that time, Estrelas have been in permanent residence, making Trisha the longest established owner of the breed in the UK.
As Trisha is a qualified obedience instructor, Asterel Estrelas have, over the years, participated at an elementary level in this discipline. Some Asterels have also had a go at agility! But showing has always been the serious hobby, and the results speak for themselves.
Trisha and her husband Stewart relocated from the South of England to South West Wales in 1992 where the whole family settled into the heart of the Carmarthenshire countryside, where the Vagabond Gypsy Cob horses joined the family.
Asterel have, over the years, been responsible for many awards, notably:
- The FIRST owner-bred dog to win Top Dog of the Year. This has been repeated by Asterel many times since.
- The FIRST Estrela ever to gain a first prize at Crufts, with Asterel Parsley, when the breed was in AVNSC classes
- The FIRST dog to win Best of Breed at Crufts, after gaining breed classes in 1991 with Asterel Parsley
- The FIRST Estrela to gain a Group placing WKC 1995, and again at Birmingham National in 2009
- The FIRST Estrela to win Top Rare Breed Bitch in the UK (1998)
- Top Rare Breed Stud Dog 1999, with Asterel Parsley, and again in 2011 with his G Grandson Asterel Sir Launcelot AN Ch 09.
- The Top Pastoral Breeder in UK 2011 and 2nd over all breeds
- Top Rare Breed Brood Bitch 1999, with Asterel Ariel
- The FIRST Estrela to win Rare Breed Stakes overall at Championship level, now done several times.
- The FIRST Estrela kennel to take part in the Breeders Group Finals at Crufts
- The FIRST kennel to breed a top winning puppy of ALL breeds, Asterel Gandalf 2008
- The Top Breeder in the KC Breeder Competition not only for the breed, but the Pastoral Group too.
- Home of two breed record holders, Asterel Parsley and now Asterel Sir Launcelot AN CH 09